It doesn’t matter how much traffic your site gets, if they don’t stay around for long, your website won’t ‘work’. So what makes your website sticky?
- A headline that attracts attention, bold, big and interesting!
- Pictures on the RIGHT of the copy, we read L-R, and scan pictures from top to bottom, then tend to read on underneath.
- Aim for no more than 250 words of copy. You need some content on every page (for the search engines), but don’t overload your human reader.
- Write for the reader, not yourself. Know what they want to know and deliver ONLY that.
And these are the things you should avoid.
- Splash pages (that whizzy page that arrives before you get to the home page); they’re an obstacle between the customer and what they want.
- Moving images; they stop people reading – and irritate them. If you have to have them they should only move once.
- Too many options; ONE headline, not a patchwork quilt of boxes, hyperlinks and pictures.
Don’t waste money on getting traffic if your website isn’t set up to keep your visitors as long as possible.
Sign up and get your free reports, tips and information that will help you get your message across in writing.
You can also find us at Lesleywriter or call us on +44 (0) 1245 473296